Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

I haven't been to a proper gig for years, being old and all that. I did intend getting back into the "scene" last year but my usual procrastination won through as usual. However when my current favourite band The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart (which i'll shorten to POBPAH here after as i am lazy) came to town i decided to see them. I knew i would regret it if i didn't, just as i regret not going down to London to see The Orchids earlier in the year.

I've never actually seen my "favourite band" live before, obviously that could never happen now with Nirvana and Brighter for various reasons, and as i said above i regret now not going to see The Orchids so the fact i was going to see POBPAH added to my anticipation. The build up in my mind grew out of control. What if it sucked? (Or more likely didn't quite live up to expectations.) What if i was the only old person there in a sea of hipsters?

Why did i worry? POBPAH exceeded any expectations, they are just brilliant in every way. There were quite a few people there my age and even a few old punks... and plenty of hipsters too natch.

As they played through the songs i love like "Come Saturday" i was overcome with a feeling of happiness and contentment, and left with joy... and tinnitus. Yes it a bit loud but i decided to refrain from asking them to turn it down a bit. A cool moment was when i was going to the toilet in between the support acts. As i approached the door it opened and a nice young man let me go through. It took me a few seconds to realise why the guy looked so familiar... OMG it was the singer!!

So they rock and they are kind to the elderly. POBPAH rock my world!

1 comment: